Tarator – on a hot summer day there is nothing more typically Bulgarian than this cold «soup». It cools you down so satisfyingly from the inside out with the freshness of cucumber and dill, the acidity of the yogurt and the spiciness of a garlic. I veganised the recipe with sunflower seeds and water/lemon concoction in the role of a yogurt, but later updated it with cashews and I have to say it is perfect.
- 1 cup sunflower seeds or cashews(soaked overnight or at least 2 hours)
- 1 cucumber finely cubed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 lemon juiced
- dill - generous amount chopped
- Ice (optional)
1. Blend the cashews or sunflower seeds in the food processor, add the water, the lemon juice and the garlic.
2. Pour the liquid over the cucumbers, dill and ice. Mix well, season with salt.
3. Garnish with crushed walnuts and serve.Print